I Need A Neurophysiologist/EEG Person

February 7th, 2006 by Ben Goldacre in bad science | 11 Comments »

Hi, just a quick special request here, I need someone with a lots of experience of EEGs, sensory evoked potentials, that kind of thing, a neurophysiologist who does it a lot, to thoroughly torpedo a couple of bits of fabulous pseudoscience. Shouldn’t take too long, the studies are easy enough to understand, I’m just after a bit of help thinking around what might be some of their more technical methodological flaws.

If you are that person, or know anyone, do please ask them to get in touch, via any of the usual email addresses (they all go to the same place) it’s for the best possible cause…

bad.science@guardian.co.uk

1. frank said,

February 8, 2006 at 5:03 pm

Does anyone else find it ironic (and really funny) that Google Ads plasters the site with ads for magic pills and miracle cures? The “no surgery” liposuction is fantastic, and seems to rely upon some form of Adobe Photoshop-based technology.

Fantastic.

Um, sorry, I don’t know any neurophysiologists.

2. Stever said,

February 8, 2006 at 5:11 pm

Oh yes indeedy, and joyously so.

Theres been discussions of this on some of the other threads I believe

3. Stever said,

February 8, 2006 at 5:14 pm

Oh, and when you click on them Ben gets money – and those idiots have to pay

*frenzied clicking*

4. Jason Steward said,

February 8, 2006 at 10:24 pm

Although, now I know where to get my supply of corkscrew electrodes for the do-it-yourself neurodiagnosis.

(Obviously, Ben’s subject of this post brought that one up…..see bottom of page)

5. JohnD said,

February 11, 2006 at 10:56 am

Ben,
    No neurophysiologist I, though as an anaesthetist perhaps I am in an odd sort of way.

But I do know that the Academic Dept. of Anaesthesia at the University of Glasgow under Prof. Gavin Kenny has done a lot of applied work using EEGs and evoked responses in their work on measuring the depth of anaesthesia. As well as Prof. Kenny, the Reader of the Dept, Dr.John Asbury, or one of the Clinical Lecturers, Dr.Anthony Absalom, have been involved in this work and may be able to refer you to someone with the expertise you need.

John

6. Paul Wicks said,

February 13, 2006 at 10:10 am

Ben,

Try k.mills@iop.kcl.ac.uk (Professor Kerry Mills). He does our neurophys at the MND clinic for king’s.

Paul

7. CB said,

February 13, 2006 at 11:44 am

Don’t know if its any help in this case, but Bristol University has a searchable ‘Directory of Experts’ who are supposedly willing to talk to the media on their area of expertise

www.bris.ac.uk/media/experts/

whether there’s anybody who knows about this though, I haven’t a clue.

8. JonnyW said,

February 17, 2006 at 11:43 am

Just come accross this site thought it might be usefull with the above and other stuff

www.specialistinfo.com/

9. RS said,

February 17, 2006 at 12:37 pm

Ever get anywhere with this story?

March 1, 2006 at 5:33 pm

i certainly am. it’s a fair bit of work is all, and i didnt want to contact any old eeg joe and take advantage of their time, so i’m only using people who volunteered themselves rather than people who were volunteered by others…

11. jiangjiang said,