Free Tickets – Radio 4 medical comedy recording, feat. me, Phil Hammond, Arthur Smith, Sarah Jarvis et al

March 7th, 2007 by Ben Goldacre in bad science, onanism | 10 Comments »

If you don’t make it the recording quality will at least be better than this, although it’s only a pilot, I think, so it may never go out…

FREE TICKETS TO MEDICINE BALLS

Medicine Balls…. is new Radio 4 comedy hosted by Dr Phil Hammond, in which we guarantee to answer all your health questions; like “Do homeopaths accept homeopathic payment?” and “Would the NHS improve if we put Duct tape over Patricia Hewitt’s mouth?” The guests are comedian, writer and NHS survivor Arthur Smith, junior doctor and award winning author of the Guardian’s Bad Science column Ben Goldacre and the world’s second sexiest ginger GP cum media doctor Sarah Jarvis. Music is by Dr Adam Kay. The recording is at the Drill Hall in London on March 20th and tickets are free on 0870 9011227 or

www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/shows/medicine_balls.shtml

1. Ithika said,

March 7, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Are homoeopathic payments pocket-fluff that has had a lot of money rubbed in it over time, so that it gains the energy of the money? But none of the effective spending power.

2. McLurker said,

March 7, 2007 at 1:24 pm

Did you know that if you read this blog without being logged in, it says “you must *bee* logged in to make a comment”?

3. Suw said,

March 7, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Damn. I misread that as ‘Richard Hammond’, which caused me for a moment to be somewhat perplexed and, probably overly, excited.

4. Delster said,

March 7, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Ithika

It’s not the pocket fluff. What you do is get a wallet with a fiver in it and put in 99 more fiver sized pieces of paper. add another 99 pieces and shake.

Randomly take out 99 fiver sized pieces of paper (which will probably including the fiver there). add another 99 pieces and shake.

repeat several times and pay the homeopath with one very small piece of one of the final sheet’s of paper… you have to be careful with that last bit as you don’t wan’t to over pay them!

5. Jut said,

March 7, 2007 at 9:50 pm

meh if it wasn’t on a tuesday I’d be there:(

6. Ithika said,

March 7, 2007 at 11:36 pm

Delster,

You are utterly correct. I bow down to your masterful ability to take a joke too far ;-)

7. Nanobot said,

March 8, 2007 at 11:51 am

More doctors than you can shake a stick at! Shouldn’t Arthur Smith just be made a doctor to complete the set?

8. simongates said,

March 8, 2007 at 12:29 pm

#7 Arthur Smith might have some useful insights (apart from being a funny man) because his brother used to be editor of the BMJ.

9. Martin said,

March 21, 2007 at 12:51 pm

I applied for tickets, but didn’t get any.

When is it being broadcast – I can’t find it anywhere on the BBC site?

10. BSM said,

October 9, 2007 at 3:14 pm

“meh if it wasn’t on a tuesday I’d be there:(”

???

Is that a homeopathic Tuesday? For the rest of us, March 20th 2008 is a Thursday.