A few talks coming up, Oxford, Cambridge, London

October 15th, 2008 by Ben Goldacre in onanism | 16 Comments »

I’ve got a couple of talks coming up in the next while, and I’m posting them here for people who don’t read the miniblog on the right hand side of the page (it’s the best thing about this site, much better than my rambling blog posts) and aren’t members of the miraculous facebook group which Shalinee Singh very kindly helps to update.

One’s in Oxford this Friday, the other is in Cambridge on Tuesday, both are free (the Oxford one is a quid, I think so they can count numbers or something). And then there’s this extraordinary string of godless christmas shows pasted below that. I can “reveal” – unexclusively – that Mr Richard Gervais will be the special guest.

Me and Robin Ince are planning something regular, special and fun on a related theme which I think will rule, more to come on that in the next month or so. Oh, and the podcast is coming soon, lots recorded already, I want to have a few in the bag and then will start to post them. It will be very good.

October’s Cafe – “Bad Science – Ben Goldacre”

Journalist and doctor Ben Goldacre is visiting the Oxford Cafe Sci to discuss his pet subject, ‘bad science’. Important: We are moving the Cafe to a different day of the week – Friday – and a different location – the Martin Wood Theatre – temporarily to give Ben an opportunity to speak to a larger than usual audience, though it will be a Cafe Scientifique and all questions are welcome. Click on the link above to see more, and for links to a poster and flyer you can download to put up on noticeboards. Blackwells are selling tickets for a nominal charge so that we know in advance how many will be attending. Ben will be signing copies of his new book of the same title, after the Cafe has finished.

The date: Friday October 17th 2008
The time: 7 pm, location the Martin Wood Lecture Theatre, Clarendon Laboratory, Parks Road, OX1 3PU.
Please buy tickets (only £1 each) from Blackwells Bookshop, Customer Services second floor main bookshop, Broad Street, Oxford, or ring 01865-333623. We will post a notice here if the event sells out: returns will be available on the door. All welcome, no scientific background required.

For the Martin Wood Theatre, those arriving by car should park on St Giles (near the Lamb and Flag), or on Keble or Blackfriars Road (free after 6:30pm), or in nearby North Oxford roads, then walk through to the venue. There is no parking allowed on-site because it is a private university venue. The nearest bus stop is on Banbury Road. See this Google Map for exact location. Entrance is via a large door at the right-hand front of the Clarendon Laboratory. Wheelchair access is available.

Ben Goldacre in Cambridge Tuesday 21st October

For those of you who enjoy Ben Goldacre’s Bad Science column in the Guardian, now is your chance to meet him in person. Ben is talking about “How the media promote the public misunderstanding of science” on Tuesday 21 October (next week) at 5.30pm in the Babbage Lecture Theatre, New Museums Site, Cambridge. It’s a free public lecture and everyone is welcome, just turn up on the night.

The lecture is brought to you by Understanding Uncertainty, the Winton programme for the public understanding of risk at Cambridge. You can read more from the Understanding Uncertainty team on their site, or in their column on Plus.

Christmas Madness

Oh, and School for Gifted Children on the 29th October

Which will be here, but it doesn’t seem to be on their website. So don’t hold me to it.

1. The Biologista said,

October 15, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Not sure what your following is like in Ireland but it would be really great to see you talk here. This place is quack heaven and certainly needs a good dose of scepticism.

2. peterd102 said,

October 15, 2008 at 7:08 pm

When is your world tour going to be Ben? Have you ever done a gig up north, there does seem to be less Bad science round here, mainly because we are all tight ‘£3.50 for some sugar pills your having a laugh!’ but also less Guardian readers so I guess ill have to trek to London someday.

3. katem said,

October 16, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Ireland is a must…

4. cebolla said,

October 16, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Have to agree Ben, your miniblog is the best thing about the site. Sometimes I send those links to people and let them think I found them myself. Is that so wrong?

5. BigEoinO said,

October 17, 2008 at 11:25 am

Another vote for coming over to ireland. (heard you on the radio recently… but a visit would be greatly appreciated!) may be able to show you a couple of moving statues…

6. AntibodyBoy said,

October 17, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Already got tickets for nine lessons! Dawkins, Goldacre, Mark Thomas & Gervais on the same line up! Joygasm!

7. Despard said,

October 17, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Me too. I have six tickets, and so far three of them are definites. My friends are so rubbish.

So, if anyone has missed out, I will post nearer the time if I still have a couple going.

8. aeriph said,

October 17, 2008 at 4:17 pm

I’m going to the talk in Cambridge, can’t wait. I think you’re doing a speech for a psychologists’ convention as well, which my dad is off to :P

9. peterd102 said,

October 18, 2008 at 12:28 am

I feel a wave of jealousy, is this going to be televised at all?

10. kinvarakrank said,

October 18, 2008 at 11:00 am

I have to echo what The Biologista and BigEoinO say, as we are awash in a veritable sea of woo over here – we’re drowning in the stuff. Come over and throw us a lifeline!

11. The Biologista said,

October 18, 2008 at 3:43 pm

That’s four votes for Ireland. Come Ben. We’ve got stout and boiled vegetables.

12. olster said,

October 21, 2008 at 1:47 am

Damn…
    Are you doing any more in London in the next few weeks?
    I’m leaving the country behind to find greener pastures!
    Stoopid mtas… grr… humpf…

13. notmyrook said,

October 22, 2008 at 8:31 am

What was that about literacy tests? I meant to say Golden Triangle. Doh.

14. ossian said,

October 22, 2008 at 8:48 am

My eyes are failing, I see no mention of Edinburgh. If I wasn’t being made redundant I’d fly to London for the Carols for the Godless. A wonderful idea!

15. aeriph said,

October 22, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Great talk in Cambridge, really enjoyed it!

16. pseudomonas said,

October 23, 2008 at 10:37 am

The Cambridge talk was very enjoyable – thanks! Are the “more complicated than that” T-shirts that you mentioned available anywhere?