Hi there. I’m going to write 800 words on the British Chiropractic Association suing Simon Singh, and the early adjudication on meanings. I’m assuming the Guardian don’t want it, since they apologised over the original piece (let me know if you do, natch, wld love to). If you are some kind of editor, and you want to print it on paper, let me know, or I’ll give it to Padraig at Index on Censorship, who I love, but they are a bit little, and this issue deserves a wide readership as well.
I will say things like:
1. I like Simon, but what he wrote was technically a bit wrong, in my view. he said that there was “not a jot of evidence” for chiropractic, when there’s some weak evidence for some things.
2. even so, an organiastion suing an individual in a situation like this really does not look good.
3. this is a recurring theme in the global multi-billion dollar alternative therapy movement (many more examples than that one, many many many), who perhaps recognise that their income relies more on plausibility and reputation than on evidence.
4. technically there is a reading of simon’s piece that suggests he thinks the BCA deliberately and knowingly peddle quackery.
5. simon doesn’t think that they deliberately and knowingly peddle quackery, nor do I, I’d say we both think it’s a bit more complicated than that, and frankly there should be an easy way for him to simply say so, so that everyone can move on, without everyone spending a lot of time and money in the Royal Courts of Justice.
6. britain’s libel laws suck the big one.
sorry to be scatty, i’m sat on a bit of grass next to my bike surrounded by hoodies on the way from a to b.
as always anyone can get me on firstname.lastname@example.org, it goes straight to my phone/brain etc
alternatively if you are a commentatory person and think this is even slightly useful then do lift bits of it. i am a pretty procrastinatory campaigning hobbyist journalist so what other people regard as plagiarism often feels like a massively positive outcome to me.
this post will self destruct when i write a proper one